Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day is for Fathers


I had a wonderful Mother's Day yesterday, complete with flowers and breakfast in bed. I luxuriously finished a full cup of coffee by myself. It was grand. Reminded me of the time I served my own mother soggy Raisin Bran in bed one Mother's Day -- I was so proud of my culinary aptitude.

This year, I think it was a chance for Christian to let Will in on the secret a little bit. I was slowly (very slowly) making my way downstairs when I overheard Christain explaining Mother's Day to Will.

"Today is the day we thank Mom for everything she does for us, and our family."

I'm sure Will said something like "Why?"

"Because she helps us and takes care of us. She really does a lot."

It was a sweet moment. But more because of how it made my husband just shine with fatherly-ness. Maybe yesterday was really more about fathers, or partners, than just about mothers. Since I don't think I could be who I am to my children without this other--who constantly reflects onto them his views too. Good or bad.

So, a belated Happy Mother's Day, to all the moms and dads out there. We rock. We really do.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet message about mommies and how we can't really be as good as we are without the daddies! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete