Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow-la-palooza!

I had to put in my 2 cents about this once-in-a-lifetime snow storm hitting the East Coast and mid-atlantic. Breaking records set in 1888. 1888 people! That's crazy.... And here I sit in upstate NY, with maybe 4-5 inches on the ground (more to come, for sure), after having commuted to and from work without incident in my tiny Honda Civic with snow tires. Yes, schools were open, businesses were open, the government was open.

But hey, it wasn't 3 feet of snow, so I'm gonna give VDOT a break.

And then I read that they're creating a MOUNTAIN of snow in an empty parking lot near the Anacostia River in D.C. -- because crews have just run out of places to put the snow. It's gonna get so big, you could ski down it! I was dying laughing. So, that's their idea of urban revitalization...

That just doesn't happen up here. There are plenty of wide open fields in which to dump tons of snow. Day after day after day. And it's been too cold to even think of getting outside with the kids to play in all that snow. When it's a high of 20, it just ain't that fun. For anyone.

So while DC/MD/VA parents and kids contemplate another week or so of snow days (what the hell are we going to do with these kids??!!), just remember that we in central NY have been cooped up inside for the past 3 MONTHS. Spring can't come fast enough.

1 comment:

  1. Too damn funny. We're expecting still more snow on Monday, but nobody's yet predicting how much we'll get. If you're feeling left out mom and I will ship some up to you.

    ReplyDelete